Friday, February 12, 2010

On a diet and gaining weight...

So, am I the only Celiac out there frustrated by the fact that I feel like I'm on a diet and yet packing on the weight?! Talk about a bummer. I remember my dietitian telling me I would gain weight as my intestine healed and started absorbing nutrients properly. But having been a skinny minny my whole life, and never having had to worry about what I ate, somehow I didn't believe her. "Ha...riiiiiiiiiiight. I'll stop eating tons of bread, and 90% of the goodies I'm used to, and I'll GAIN weight. Uh-uh. I'm going to be a stick! At least there will be perks to the Celiac diet..."

I hate to say it, but she was right and I was wrrr...wrrrrrr....wrrrrrrrong. There. I said it. :)

I'm not saying I'm overweight, but I tell you...it does not feel good to pull out pants and shorts I haven't worn in a season or two and have them be too small!

I exercise like always, and don't overeat. (Well...I'm sure I could probably cut out some ice cream and snacks here and there...IF I WANTED TO CUT OUT ALL HAPPINESS!) But still the ten pounds came and won't leave.

My awesome husband keeps reminding me that I'm now HEALTHY and that's more important than being able to fit into pants that were probably way too skinny in the first place. And the logical side of me definitely agrees...

But there's still that girly side..... :)

3 comments:

  1. Its kind of like having a kid, that 10lbs that just wont leave! :) Its a bummer for sure but I have to say you do carry it well you still look great! And you have a very wise husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same issue in the first couple of years after I was diagnosed. After battling with myself, I decided that it really wasn't okay with me to be 12 pounds up from my pre-diagnosis weight. So, what I did was find my routine of healthy weeknight meals, and stuck to them. Then I could eat all of my gf indulgences (pizza, fries, bagels, etc) on the weekends. For me - I have a gf veggie burger, and some kind of soup nearly every night (not very exciting, I know, but I really love it and look forward to having it when I get home). I also make sure I go to the gym 3-4 times per week. Now I'm back to my pre-diagnosis weight and I feel awesome!

    Not saying you need to lose those 10 pounds, but it's not impossible!

    Love your blog! I actually just started one myself, check it out! - http://glutenfreegimmethree.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete