Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Gluten Free in NYC

The hubbie and I headed to NYC for a weekend for our second wedding anniversary, and I have to say...a dream destination for those of us with Celiac. We arrived with a HUGE list of restaurants that not only offer gluten-free options, but are actually members of the Gluten Free Awareness Program (http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/). This generally means that they know about cross-contamination, and all those issues that can make those of us with actual Celiac disease sick. We didn't' make it through even half the list. But here's some places we DID try and love:

Blooms: It was close enough to the theater district that we walked to our show after even though it was a bit of a hike (Wicked at the Gershwin...unrelated, but AWESOME!!). I tried the grilled chicken sandwich, which is served on a gluten-free bun. It was very very tasty, even though there was no sauce. The chicken was seasoned quite scrumptiously. I also ordered the gluten-free fries. Mmmmmm mm. This is a great place to go if your loved ones don't have to eat gluten-free too. My husband enjoyed a delicious salami sandwich so much, that we ended up eating breakfast here one morning too. I had eggs, bacon, potatoes (which are french fries) and gluten free toast (made out of the same buns that the sandwiches are made on). All in all, very tasty, and absolutely no negative reactions...it felt very very safe.

Risoterria: This was my second experience at Risoterria, and again wasn't disappointed. I love the fact that you get gluten-free breadsticks while you wait (chewy breadsticks...not crunchy, typical gluten-free breadsticks). The pizza is yummy (I tried the mushroom one this time with a truffle oil sauce...mmmmmmm....). My husband ordered risotto and really enjoyed it. Be prepared for a really really little environment (you get to know your neighbors), and a moderately pricey menu. Still, I'd suggest it.

Tu-Lu's Gluten Free Bakery: We walked way out of our way one day to try a completely gluten-free bakery. I had a chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting, and a cranberry white chocolate oatmeal cookie. Both were delicious. There's just something about walking round a big city all day that makes you need a cookie. Not want a cookie...NEED a cookie. This is a great place to get one, although I must admit that I was surprised by how few options they had. For some reason, I expected lots more variety after seeing the website. Still...fun. And one of their walls is soooooooooo cutely painted. :)

Petit Cafe: We went here for breakfast one morning, and I was a bit sad we didn't make it back. I had originally thought I'd get a gluten-free bagel (they looked soooooooo normal), but then I saw the blueberry muffins, and had to have one. The hubbie ordered an omelet, and both were delicious. I believe they also serve gluten free pancakes, french toast, sandwiches, etc. Great little place. Delicious big muffins.

Grom Gelato: After Risotteria, we came across Grom Gelato. They had gluten and non-gluten listed right on their big wall menu, and I was pumped. However, I have to admit, I ended up being really scared eating it (probably shouldn't have eaten it, but for some reason was very un-Amber-like and did). I think there is probably a contamination issue at work here. Each flavor has it's own scoop, which is AWESOME. However, as I watched them dish up the ice cream into the cones (which the majority of people order), I saw them touching the cone with the scoop, and scraping excess ice cream off the side of the cone with the scoops, and then the scoops go back in the ice cream, leaving little cone crumbs. Like I said, I normally wouldn't eat something after observing something like this...but I did. And I had a mild reaction that night as a result (most likely...guess it could've been something else...).

Honestly, if you have Celiac, you have to go to NY just to feel like you're eating like a normal person on vacation. It was so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment