Monday, May 11, 2009

Favorite Flour

I am by no means the expert in this category yet, because honestly I have done very little experimenting up to this point. In fact, I loved the first all purpose flour mix I tried so much, that I haven't experimented at all! But I still thought it was worth sharing: Jules Shepard's Nearly Normal All Purpose Flour Mix. (Random note: for me it's easier not to add the xanthum gum directly to the mix...I add it to the dry ingredients at the time of baking. It's an extra step, but it allows me to adjust it if needed. Usually I use a teaspoon for every cup of flour mix, but sometimes a little less...)

I am pretty picky when it comes to my baking. I'm a perfectionist, and like things to taste, well, perfect! I was terrified of what the gluten-free thing would do to my baking...but seriously, with this flour mix, I pretty much use all my old recipes, and they usually turn out amazingly normal (taste, texture and form!).

I've tried it in all the following with great results:
Homemade buttermilk pancakes
Gooey Chocolate Cookies
Homemade brownies
Homemade corn bread
Gluten-free pizza crust
Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've tried it in all the following with nearly great results:
Chocolate sheetcake (perfect texture, but I could taste the corn flour a bit which bugged me...next time I'm going to try adding more cocoa to mask the flavor)
Homemade sugar cookies (perfect form, and pretty perfect flavor, but the texture was a little off...too crumby... I'm still contemplating how to fix that...any suggestions?)

I still have a lot to learn, but for now, this flour has been a LIFESAVER for me! If anyone out there has a favorite, don't be shy! I'd love input!

No comments:

Post a Comment